In collaboration with the Las Vegas Natural History Museum, Junior Achievement of Southern Nevada is offering
these free programs for only one evening in connection with their Las Vegas Science & Technology Festival!
THE SCIENCE OF MONEY-GETTING FINANCIALLY FIT!
Location: Las Vegas Library
833 N Las Vegas Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89101
Registration Opens 5:00PM
Instruction Begins 5:30PM
Instruction Ends 6:45PM
All participants must register. Walk-ins will NOT be allowed. Space is limited to 25 students in each grade category with 1 parent/guardian attending.
ELEMENTARY STUDENTS (3RD THROUGH 5TH GRADES)
Students are introduced to the concepts of saving and sharing money. They participate in an activity in which they are presented with opportunities to save or share their earnings and then see the results of their choices.
- ObjectivesStudents will be able to:• Set personal saving and sharing goals.• Evaluate options for savings and sharing money.
MIDDLE STUDENTS (6TH THROUGH 8TH GRADES)
- OverviewStudents are introduced to the importance of establishing a budget to help manage their money. Through an in-class activity, they identify the expenses typically included in a monthly budget. Students select an occupation from a list included with the session or conduct a search to find information about another occupation in which they are interested. Based on the salaries earned by a person working in that occupation, they develop a monthly budget.
- ObjectivesStudents will be able to:• Recognize that establishing and following a budget is important for people of all income levels.• Differentiate between gross and net income.• Develop a monthly budget for a chosen occupation.
KEEPING IT GOING
HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS (9TH THROUGH 12TH GRADES)
Students learn about credit and examine credit choices. Through a group activity, they decide if they will purchase items using credit and plan how they will pay for them.
Students will be able to:
• Evaluate types of credit and credit terms.
• Make decisions about when and how credit should be used.